Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Dear 16 year old me...

This idea is not my own but came from Deb Schwedhelm who is a photographer now living in FL. I do not know Deb but am very often moved by things she says on her blog. Regardless, it made me think about all the many things I'd say to myself if I could speak to the 16 year old me... You see, I know that, in part, my mistakes shaped who I am now and I'm certain that God simply allowed negative things in my lives and bad decisions to take place so that I could have a greater understanding of who He is... and that REALLY DOES make it worth it. To quote my pastor, Terry Sanderson, "you don't know that Jesus is all you need until Jesus is all you've got." I've been there. I know what it means to cry out in the depths of pain just wanting relief however it may come.... though not in the same way or for the same reason for the people in this video... yet, there are just a few things I wish I'd done differently that I'll share after the video.



Dear 16 year old me,

Blue eyeshadow does not look good on you no matter how many people tell you that it brings out your blue eyes... neither does pink or green. Baggy pants that practically come all the way to your armpits do not look good on your skinny frame either... but I guess that's all they sold in 1990 so go with it. Lay off the Aqua Net. It might make for funny pictures later but you, singlehandedly, caused a hole in the ozone layer... perhaps a slight exaggeration but you're pretty hard headed. Seriously... SERIOUSLY, get out of the stinkin' tanning bed!!! You do not need to go to Aunt LaDawn's to tan for an hour so that you'll look hot at prom! Smart girls do not tan for an hour, nor do they lay out with baby oil and tin foil so stop it pale white girl! You do not have your momma's beautiful Native American skin! (For the record, you'll have to remind your 37 year old self of this too because she'll still want to be tan!)

Just two more things... You are stronger than you know because even when you don't act like it, you know from where your strength comes and it is Jesus. Never lose that as it will be your lifeline. His glory is actually why you were born, not yours. Finally, spend more time with your grandparents. You cannot even imagine how much you'll miss them when they're gone.

No comments: