Friday, May 4, 2012

The "Kiss-Fist Bump"

The worst thing in the whole world has happened...


Seriously, it happened so quickly that I didn't even see it coming.


Gavin will no longer kiss me when I drop him off at school!!!


Now, I realize it could be worse... he still wants me around.  In fact, he even requested that I come up for lunch today... even though that was way more for the Happy Meal he asked me to bring than because he wanted my company, it's still something!  Right?  


As he got out of the car this morning, I received my very first "kiss-fist bump."  He kissed his fist and touched it to mine and said "Now, no one will know that we kissed."  It was sweet and sad at the same time.  I both long for him to grow into a strong independent man and yearn for the days that he would lay upon my chest and sleep.  


It made me think, however, of how we sometimes hide our love for Christ from others.  Have you ever been afraid to pray out loud or even tell someone that you prayed for them?  Maybe you shy away when you see those "Jesus Freaks" talking or the "Bible Thumpers" getting together.  You know they're really nice but you don't want others to see you with them.  What about that time you heard your friends making fun of them and you didn't join in but you didn't defend them either.  


Maybe it's just me that has found myself in those places but as I have grown in my relationship with Christ I have learned that it is not something I am willing to hide anymore.  I will not give God a "kiss-fist bump" hoping that no one will see that I love Him.  I want to be bold and unashamed just as Paul urges us to do in 2 Timothy 1:8-  


"So never be ashamed to tell others about our Lord. And don’t be ashamed of me, either, even though I’m in prison for him. With the strength God gives you, be ready to suffer with me for the sake of the Good News."


Now, I know that Gavin's "kiss-fist bump" is not because he's ashamed of me in the same way that Paul is speaking here.  It's a normal part of a little boy growing up.  Knowing Gavin, it probably won't even last that long... I hope anyway!  Regardless, it's a good reminder to me to not hide my love for my Lord but to be bold... to show my love for Him and His people in every way that I can! 


How are you being bold today or are you still afraid to be open about your faith?  I'm praying that you will look to God for the boldness that only He can give to share the grace that He has given you!




Here are a few nuggets that the Bible gives about boldness:


Ephesians 6:19

"And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel. "

Romans 15:15

"I have written you quite boldly on some points, as if to remind you of them again, because of the grace God gave" 

2 Corinthians 3:12

"Therefore, since we have such a hope, we are very bold."





No comments: