Saturday, January 1, 2011

Welcome 2011!

As I begin a new year I am just eager with anticipation. Who, but the Lord, knows what this year holds! I'm really excited this year. I can hardly wait to get it started. I've been fidgeting all week wanting to get going. I’m not big on resolutions though. I am, however, a list-maker and goal setter. I don’t know what the difference in an actual resolution and a goal is, other than calling it a “New Year’s Resolution” makes me feel like I’m setting myself up to fail, like I have to get it right all the time in order to say that I achieved my resolution. Seriously, I just can’t do that. Now, I know that I tell my kids all the time that we don’t say “I can’t do…” but I also tell them to be realistic so bear with me here… Somehow calling it a goal makes me feel like I’ve got a little wiggle room to try, fail and keep on trying. And I know me. I need to know that should I fail, I can keep on trying. It’s just who I am. Sometimes I fail… okay, I fail a lot… I don’t, however, give up. I’m kind of annoying that way.

So, I started the year by doing two things that are a part of my goals and have been for a year now and since I just love it, I'm keeping at it: I got up before everyone else in my house… not difficult when they were all up screaming, tooting horns and throwing confetti WAY past their normal bedtimes… I listened to some praise music and I prayed. As I listened to a beautiful soundtrack that included “Your Grace is Enough” by Matt Maher, “Love Has Come” by Mark Schultz, and “Trading My Sorrows” and “In Christ Alone” both by Travis Cottrell, the word “amazed” continued to come to my mind and I realized that it should be my word-of-the-year. Now, I’ve never had a word-of-the-year before but I kind of like the idea. I can’t take any credit for it though. My sweet, wonderful, wise and beautiful mentor does this and has for years. I figure it’s suited her well and God put the word on my heart, so who am I to argue? So, on this first morning of 2011 I chose my first ever word-of-the-year: Amazed. My prayer this morning was this:


Dearest Abba Father,

You alone know what this year holds… what your plans are… in detail. I know that whatever this plan is it will be to prosper me, to give me a future and a hope. All that I ask, Lord, no matter what else happens, is that you allow me to see YOU and YOUR CHARACTER—your abiding love, unending faithfulness, amazing grace, eternal joy, boundless peace– knock me off my feet in amazement of you! Be relentless, Lord, be relentless!

And just because I loved it so much this morning, here's a little song for you: