Saturday, January 8, 2011

An unexpected week...

Well, I had full intentions to add something to this blog earlier this week but it did not go quite as I'd expected. Thursday morning began with a call that I'd expected to come sooner than later but, honestly, didn't want to take. I answered the phone to hear these words:

"Grandma won't wake up!"

When I pulled into my hometown, this was the billboard I passed and had to stop on the way out of town to take a picture. Certainly, the Lord does go before us each day.



On Thursday my precious Grandma Houston, after sleeping most of the day, rallied to give us about 20 minutes of sass and laughter and then joined Grandpa in the presence of Jesus. In more ways than I can emotionally handle sharing today, God showed up and as I requested of Him last week, HE AMAZED ME!

Tonight, as I have locked myself in my room, giving myself permission to cry, be alone, and take care of only myself, I longed for something to write but I came up completely dry. So I'll leave you with the scripture that God brought me to in my grief and of course, it is perfect!

O God, you are my God,
earnestly I seek you;
my soul thirsts for you, in a dry and weary land
where there is no water.

I have seen you in the sanctuary
and behold your power and your glory.

Because your love is better than life,
my lips will glorify you.

I will praise you as long as I live,
and in your name I will life up my hands.

My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods;
with singing lips my mouth will praise you.

On my bed I remember you;
I think of you through the watches of the night.

Because you are my help,
I sing in the shadow of your wings.

My soul clings to you;
your right hand upholds me.

Psalm 63:1-8

Lord, I'd certainly die without you. Without you, a single breath would be too painful to take. Thank you for being the water in my moments of grief that I thirst for relief so badly that I know death would be less painful. THANK YOU for allowing us to see you in those moments with Grandma, when she was Grandma. Surely you lived inside her, choosing her as your sanctuary as you do all believers, and I know that it was you that gave us those moments to treasure. I did, in fact, see you in your sanctuary this week. You just make me laugh, Lord. You brought me to a verse that talks about the richest of foods to comfort me at the loss of the greatest of cooks! You are the LORD! As we sing your praises, I KNOW that our souls will be as satisfied as our bellies were leaving Grandma's table. Thank you for giving me a man that has let me sit on this bed for hours so that I'd be sitting on my bed when I read these verses, reminding me that your word is alive. Great Counselor, allow me to cling to you as you hold me up in your right hand each day for the rest of my life. I love you.